Problem with Loki games on Severn

Christian Iseli Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Sat Sep 6 23:14:15 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I have updated my home box to Severn.  The box is based on an Asus A7V board,
Athlon 1 GHz, nVidia video and SB Live! audio.

This machine has evolved over time, and so has the software (I think I first
installed RedHat 4.2, or some such, and never completely re-installed).
The last update was done through Yum, which seamlessly brought the machine
up from RedHat 9 to Severn.  So far, I quite like it.  I have a "problem" though:
I bought 3 games from Loki games: Heroes III, Kohan, and Rune.

Kohan quit working when I upgraded to RH 9.
Heroes III quit working when I upgraded to Severn (worked well in RH 9).
Rune still runs fine.

This is what I see when I attempt to start Heroes III:
chris: heroes3

BUG! (Segmentation Fault)  Going down hard...
Heroes of Might & Magic III 1.3.1a
Built with glibc-2.1 on x86
Stack dump:
{
[0x82062d3]
[0x82064bb]
[0xc0de0000]
[0x8250766]
[0x824ea3a]
[0x822c74c]
}
Please send a full bug report,
along with the contents of autosave to: support at lokigames.com
Killed

Of course, Loki has closed down... :-(

I'm thinking of setting up a jailed environment, with an old glibc, but I'm not sure
how to do it easily...

Any other suggestions ?

Sorry for the long ranting, BTW...

Cheers,