Test kernel

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 11:30:22 UTC 2003

Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello Jim,
>

>>I tried out  kernel-2.4.22-1.2040.nptl on an HP ze4315us laptop and it
>>locked up on pcmcia when booting the machine.
>

>  You could try upgrading to kernel-2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36 and see if your
> problem persists. If so search https://bugzilla.redhat.com and if nothing
> is found submit a bug report.

The problem with locking up on pcmcia is not a problem with the kernel
version 2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36 - It locks up mozilla, but boots alright
and every other tried feature works.

I didn't know if later kernel versions were going to bust my laptop
again. RH9 and about every other Linux distribution that I have tried
locked up on pcmcia, for this HP laptop.

Updating to the 2.4.22-1.2040.nptl was intended to test if Mozilla works
again and not the pcmcia feature.

I did try the *2040.nptl version on my 815 chipset based computer and it
did not get mozilla working yet on that machine. Thunderbird mailer
works on the 815 based desktop (P III). I haven't tried Firebird out to
see if it works yet or not.

My current guess is that it is more related to the browser than the
mailer. But this machine still has a busted GNOME. (Since the nptl
series of kernels and post 2.5.68 developmental kernels. This happened
on RH9. Severn was always busted)

I'll try to seperate all of the issues for submitting bug reports. Both
for the laptop and then for the desktop.

Thanks,

Jim

--
Order and simplification are the first steps toward mastery of a subject
-- the actual enemy is the unknown.