faq? rawhide

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Sep 13 08:04:45 UTC 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Ben Hsu wrote:

>This might be an FAQ, but I couldn't find anything in Google.
>
>How DOES one use rawhide packages? Is it just a matter of ftp'ing them
>and installing them, or is there a 'better' way? Would it help if I
>ponyed up the cash for RHN?

In some cases rawhide packages can be installed on the current OS
release, and they may or may not work, but often they do.  There
are never any guarantees however, and the risk is entirely in the
hands of the user.  Rawhide is developmental so it's intended for
development and it can and will break in various ways randomly,
sometimes catastrophically.  Don't use it or it's packages at all
if that risk is too much for your system or data.

At the present time, the best way of using rawhide, is to install
the Severn beta release, and then upgrade to current rawhide
using up2date or yum.  It's a beta release of course, and rawhide
is very experimental, so it's not intended for production use,
and many things definitely will be highly likely to be unstable.

Paying for RHN will provide you with higher speed access to RHN,
and provide access even when the server is very busy, but it
won't really affect your ability to use rawhide either way.
Rawhide is available for everyone beta-testing packages to use
wether they're paying for RHN or not.

Hope this helps.