cross-platform software - ogg push (was freedom ...yes or no)

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue Sep 23 02:48:48 UTC 2003

Zinf is a good program. There is another one that is similar that is
called freemp3player. It works great for windows also. Some features of
zinf are more decent than what xmms offers. A program like zinf for
linux would be a decent program to have for Linux.

I tried to get some music interest friends interested in ogg format.
Most of them like mp3, since it is familiar to them and does about the
same job. Windows users like the ability to make compilation discs from
their collected mp3s. There is not a lot of cd burning programs that
surround the windows environment. Adding this capability to be common
for windows users might aid in the adoption of ogg for the large portion
of users.

I like having the ability to rip either ogg or mp3 formatted files to
discs for compilation cds. I'm glad that there are readily available and
efficient ways to do it on Linux.

Selling ogg and pushing Linux in the same breath seems to be
counterproductive on my ventures. Even though free were used for both
technologies. All of the windows based "free" software even makes it a
harder sell.

Jim

--
Is it possible that software is not like anything else, that it is meant to
be discarded:  that the whole point is to always see it as a soap bubble?