What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Mark A. Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Wed Sep 24 15:09:40 UTC 2003

From: Bill Anderson <bill at noreboots.com>

>> I like that idea also.  i am a University Student  and cant afford RHEL
>> but i do run my own server here.  and i dont want to have to upgrade or
>> rebuild and test it every 4-6 months
>
> Then *don't*. This isn't MS, nobody (other than perhaps your boss) is
> forcing you to do that,

I won't make claims for Fedora, but with the traditional RedHat series
they essentially are forcing you to upgrade.  If you don't keep up with
the upgrades, you no longer get updates via RHN.

I once had a 6.2 server that I only did RHN updates on and never upgraded
from 6.2 due to the fact that it worked and I didn't want to mess with it.
I logged in one day to find I'd been rooted via a SSH exploit that was
updated in the 7.x+ channels, but not down the 6.2 channels.

Sure, nobody's holding a gun to your head, but if you want to have all the
security updates, you *are* forced to do the major version upgrades.