Why xcdroast and not gcombust?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Sep 1 11:02:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 22:25, Steve Bergman wrote:
> I was just wondering why xcdroast gets included as the standard cd
> writer and not gcombust.  I always end up frustrated with xcdroast and
> gcombust is quite friendly.  Also, it's obvious how to write an existing
> iso image with gcombust and I don't see that xcdroast can even do it.
> Plus gcombust fits in nicely with Bluecurve and is at least a GTK app,
> whereas xcdroast is, well, whatever it is.  I there a licensing issue or
> something?
>
> Then again, eventually, I suppose, nautilus will do it all.

Is this a complaint about the nautilus cd burner capabilities or are you
just not aware of them? Its not meant to be a highly complex burning
application, but to be usable for people who are not aware of the
details about cd writing.

To burn a iso file: right click on it and pick "Write to CD..." in the
menu. Then select CD writer and click on the write button. From the
command line you can just run "nautilus-cd-burner <iso-filename>".

To create a new CD, select "Go -> CD Creator" in the menu, or enable
magicdev and just insert a blank cd. Then drop the files you want into
the window and click on the cd writing icon in the toolbar.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an old-fashioned pirate dwarf in a wheelchair. She's a hard-bitten junkie
former first lady with the power to see death. They fight crime!