Why xcdroast and not gcombust?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Sep 1 15:28:45 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 15:38, Steve Bergman wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 06:02, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > > Then again, eventually, I suppose, nautilus will do it all.
> >
> > Is this a complaint about the nautilus cd burner capabilities or are you
> > just not aware of them?
>
> Not an intentional complaint, but I confess I short changed Nautilus'
> capabilities.  What I meant was that someday Nautilus would be a full
> featured CD writer.  I just didn't realize that it was already pretty
> much there.
>
> Very nice!
>
> I just created a CD from an iso, erased it and turned it into a music
> CD, erased that created a regular data CD.  All very simple and very
> well integrated with the rest of the desktop.  And the user doesn't have
> to know anything about DAO, TAO, Burn-Free, etc.
>
> Anyone who needs more than this is probably going to be comfortable with
> xcdroast, or have their own personal favorite already, I suppose.
>
> I have a couple of end users who will be delighted when I show them this
> tomorrow.

One comment about the current music cd burning abilities. This is very
limiting and will in the future be removed in favour of a "burn
playlist" button in the media player (rhythmbox for instance).

There just isn't any sane way to handle ordering of the songs in the
nautilus UI. Plus you want to know things like total play time and have
easy preview of the songs.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an all-American pirate inventor looking for 'the Big One.' She's a
chain-smoking winged detective with her own daytime radio talk show. They
fight crime!