Why xcdroast and not gcombust?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Sep 1 19:04:21 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 17:52, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 01:02:01PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > To create a new CD, select "Go -> CD Creator" in the menu, or enable
> > magicdev and just insert a blank cd. Then drop the files you want into
> > the window and click on the cd writing icon in the toolbar.
>
> This operation does not feed cdrecord from stdin via mkisofs, as one
> could reasonably expect, but builds a temporary iso image in /tmp.
> If there is a way to change that location it is so well hidden that
> so far I failed to find it.  A corollary is that you better have
> enough of a disk space in /tmp or you will run into troubles; more
> so if /tmp is a part of /.  Overflowing / is a barrel of fun.
>
> It is hard to think of a good reason why these "real" iso images
> on a disk are really created here.  They tend to stick around, for
> example, in abnormal termination conditions.  Maybe the idea was
> that some of material to put on CD is mounted over a network and
> a network is slow or unreliable?  Local networks in practice tend
> to be fast enough.  Shrug!
>
> If /tmp is not that big and you have space on some other file system
> you can "bind-mount" /tmp from there (early enough in a boot process
> or some things may "vanish" :-).  Such workarounds were likely not
> intended for drag-and-drop crowd.

ATM the only way to override this is setting TMPDIR in the environment.
The code was initially written this way to avoid problems on machines
with slow machines, or misconfigured systems where the cd writer is on
the same IDE channel as the source.

I guess this could left non-default and used as a backup on such systems
though...

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an otherworldly chivalrous dwarf with nothing left to lose. She's a
high-kicking mute traffic cop from the wrong side of the tracks. They fight
crime!