False alarm: Abuse of RHN Service?

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at redhat.com
Tue Sep 2 00:15:15 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 05:25, nosp wrote:
> Didn't see anything like this in the archives, so I was wondering if
> anyone had gotten this error from up2date (severn, up2date-3.9.19-2):
>
> ---
> up2date_client.up2dateErrors.AbuseError:
> Error Message:
>     Abuse of Service detected for server XXXXX (nnnnnnnnnn)

Typically this is caused by people running up2date from a cron job.
The rhnsd daemon will check with the RHN servers by default once every
two hours. By itself rhnsd generates plenty of traffic at Red Hat's end
(think millions of systems connecting 12 times a day each). If it's
running, and you install a cron job running "up2date -ui" every 2 hours
on top of that, that's twice as many connections as RHN expects from
your machine. It does not trigger quite that soon, but if you have it
running many times an hour you will get blocked.

In your case, you may have crossed the threshold by running up2date many
times by hand within a relatively short period of time. While unusual,
it can happen. It will correct itself after a period of time.

--
Chris Kloiber
Red Hat, Inc.