Sound problem on Severn

gboyce at badbelly.com gboyce at badbelly.com
Tue Sep 2 13:58:30 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Steven Haigh wrote:

> Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:

> >>Or configure XMMS to use artsd...
> >>

> >It doesn't work. Crashes..
> >But I need to run VMware and it can't open /dev/dsp too.
> >

> that being the case, you'll have to 'killall artsd' before you run
> VMWare... I'm not sure if there's a way around it, but iirc VMware only
> uses direct access to /dev/dsp and can't/won't share with a sound daemon...

ESD provides a wrapper for launching applications that directly use
/dev/dsp.  I'm not too familiar with artsd, but perhaps it provides
something similiar?

Looking at the arts package itself, artswrapper looks kind of promising,
although the machine I'm on right now is 7.3, so things might have changed
since then.

Gregory Boyce