Sound problem on Severn

Steven Haigh netwiz at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 2 15:02:06 UTC 2003

gboyce at badbelly.com wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Steven Haigh wrote:
>

>>Thiago Vinhas de Moraes wrote:

>>>It doesn't work. Crashes..
>>>But I need to run VMware and it can't open /dev/dsp too.
>>>

>>that being the case, you'll have to 'killall artsd' before you run
>>VMWare... I'm not sure if there's a way around it, but iirc VMware only
>>uses direct access to /dev/dsp and can't/won't share with a sound daemon...
>>

>ESD provides a wrapper for launching applications that directly use
>/dev/dsp.  I'm not too familiar with artsd, but perhaps it provides
>something similiar?
>
>Looking at the arts package itself, artswrapper looks kind of promising,
>although the machine I'm on right now is 7.3, so things might have changed
>since then.
>
>Gregory Boyce

I actually tried this with an application I was trying to get going -
gnomemeeting iirc.... There is an artswrapper binary, but I couldn't
seem to get it working... YMMV as I didn't spend a great deal of time on
it...

--
Signed,
Steven Haigh

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
I am root. If you see me laughing, you better have a backup.