Problem sending messages to postfix 2.0.14 from evolution 1.4.3 using SSL (SMTPS)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Sep 2 20:38:00 UTC 2003

I'm having quite a bit of trouble sending outgoing mail to a postfix
2.0.14 server, from evolution 1.4.3-3 as included in Severn.  The SMTP
server requires authentication and is run over SSL.  The server works fine
when using the evolution included in Shrike, and it works fine from other
clients like Mozilla Mail and pine.  I'm fairly sure therefore that it's
not a server-side problem.

When evolution tries to send mail, it gives this error:
RCPT TO <email address>
Syntax Error, command unrecognized

See an example screenshot here:
http://www.trilug.org/~jeremy/Screenshot-Evolution.png

The postfix logs show the SSL information when the client succesfully
connects, and then they show a disconnect, with no other information.  I'm
not familiar enough with postfix to know how to increase the logging
level, if that would help.

Is this a real bug that I should file, or am I missing something entirely?

Thanks for any advice on this!
I really like Severn but the ability to send email would make it a lot
better.

Jeremy Portzer