Include MPlayer in beta?

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 2 21:15:50 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Steve Bergman wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 13:12, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>

>> this brings up something i've been thinking about for a while --
>> what are the practical/technical/legal issues in bundling what most
>> people would *expect* to see on a desktop system?
>>

>There seems to be a lot of focus on third party repositories regarding
>future releases.  Any possibility of adding support to anaconda for
>installing these apps from a third party repository?
>
>Perhaps a question during the install:
>
>Would you like additional multimedia applications installed?
>
>With an explanation that RedHat does not operate and has no control over
>these third party sources.  It is your responsibility to make sure to
>use them in accordance with your local laws and statues, blah, blah,
>blah... ?
>
>Mandrake used to do this with regards to encryption software.

If you extrapolate from various United States court rulings about
linking to content can be illegal.. I would say that Red Hat can not
even do this and sell a product in the United States.

Stephen John Smoogen            smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 5-8058
Ta-03 SM-261  MailStop P208 DP 17U  Los Alamos, NM 87545