no ... *really* ... any ETA for updated beta?

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 22:45:42 UTC 2003

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:33:41AM -0400, Joel Young wrote:
> Since this is intended to be a community project, I have viewed
> these release dates as managerial goals to help the redhat external
> participants manage their resources.

Yup.  That is certainly one of the points of discussing the dates.
And your points about scheduling your own work on it are actually
points that we've been bringing up in our internal discussions about
the changes we need to make, and they've been taken into account as
our plans firm up.

While we're not quite sticking to our dates this time (whoever
suggested that we want to have the web site back up in all its
glory before the next beta is quite right, by the way), I think
that the process will improve based on the changes we're making
and the feedback we've been getting here.

I would like to mention, however, that the daily pushes to RHN
are a big change that we hope will affect the way that the whole
cycle works.  We want to focus on testing new stuff regularily,
so that we find new bugs soonest after introducing them and have
a better idea where to find the mistakes we made.  :-)  This means
that the dates we put out new ISOs matters much less than it used
to.  We're explicitly trying to push to a new, better process; one
that we think will make the whole testing process more flexible
and productive.

So I'd like to encourage everyone to subscribe to the RHN channel
and test it as you have time available; while we're working on
getting the site up again and another set of ISOs out, they should
not be a prerequisite for testing.

I'd also like to thank the folks who have been following the RHN
channel and rawhide while we've been essentially web-silent.  We
certainly haven't stopped the technical development process while
we've been resolving the other questions that caused us to take
down the web site...

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/