2.6.0-test1 kernel? gcc 3.3 compiler?

heslep mark at mitre.org
Fri Sep 5 03:03:19 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 18:15, Nathan G. Grennan wrote:

> I upgraded to the 2.6.0-test1 and I had a very annoying issue with USB
> not working. I ended up tracking it down to a change in the name of the
> USB1 module. I also had to take settings from /etc/modules.conf to
> /etc/modprobe.conf  This was especially annoying since I use a USB
> keyboard and USB mouse. I do have USB legacy support turned on in the
> bios, but the USB keyboard didn't work till I plugged in a PS/2
> keyboard. The really funny thing was I would hit numlock on the USB
> keyboard and it would change the led on the PS/2 keyboard.
>
> On the same topic USB keyboard and mouse support need to be compiled in
> like PS/2 support. Loading USB modules in rc.sysinit a very poor
> substitute. Grub also needs native USB support. Currently it only works
> with USB legacy support turned on in the bios.

Im having the same problem with USB mouse and keyboard.  They are both
dead on boot with Arjan's 2.6.0 (test 4 now) though all works fine with
the 2.4.21.20...nptl kernel.  Ran the /sbin/generate-modprobe-conf
script and still nothing.  Could someone be more specific with the name
problem Nathan reports?  In 2.6 I show the keyboard and mouse (Input
Device Drivers) compiled into the kernel but USB_KBD and USB_MOUSE are
not set. So which module needs to be renamed?

Mark

On a Dell Precision 650 Xeon:
rpm -q initscripts kernel kernel-unsupported modutils mkinitrd && uname
-r
initscripts-7.30-1
kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl
kernel-2.6.0-0.test4.1.32
kernel-unsupported-2.6.0-0.test4.1.32
modutils-2.4.25-8
mkinitrd-3.5.11-2
2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl

cat /etc/modules.conf
alias eth0 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter mptbase
alias scsi_hostadapter1 mptscsih
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S