disabling graphics adapter probing in severn

Benjamin Peter ben at reddleman.org
Fri Sep 5 13:29:58 UTC 2003

Hi,

is there a way to disable the automatic probing in the server install and use
vesa instead?

My Asus Laptop has a ATI Radeon 9000 chip built in, and although that is
correctly recognized, I get strange behaviour:

- anaconda tries to start the X server
- the screen goes black
- switching back to Console 1 shows that anaconda assumes that X is up
- looking into X.log shows that it has not: it fails to load the modules
"glx" and "record"

Any ideas? I tried all the options in the help screens, including 'noprobe'
and skipddc -- without any improvement.

A text install works, but upon starting 'firstboot', the machine hangs.

Cheers,
Ben