Preferred way to report bugs that affect multiple RHL versions?

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Sep 5 19:59:47 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 15:41, Steve Bergman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just reported a problem with the stock ticker applet.  Basically, it
> looks like yahoo may have changed their format.  I reported it for RH9,
> but it affects rawhide and probably all other versions with stock ticker
> as well.
>
> What is the preferred way to report a bug like this.  Bugzilla does not
> allow selection of both RawHide and RedHat Linux, but duplicate bug
> reports don't really make sense in this case.

I'd just pick a version at random and mention in the body of the bug
report that it affects other versions.

I don't think most developers here pay that much attention to the
version for bug reports ... I certainly don't, anyways.

The important factors are:

 A) Does it still affect the development version?
 B) Is it important enough to consider doing an errata for?
 B') If so, does it affect old released versions?

Since the answer to B) is almost always "no", the B') seldom
matters.

Regards,
					Owen

[
  I'm afraid our response to this bug is probably, at best, going to
  be to remove gtik from our packaging.
]