Preferred way to report bugs that affect multiple RHL versions?

Hans Deragon hans at deragon.biz
Fri Sep 5 20:41:10 UTC 2003

HoytDuff wrote:
> On Friday 05 September 2003 03:41 pm, Steve Bergman wrote:
>
>>I just reported a problem with the stock ticker applet.  Basically, it
>>looks like yahoo may have changed their format.
>

> I would file it upstream as it's not an really app maintained by Red Hat, is
> it?

Yahoo did change its format today.  I noticed it when I looked up my stocks.

You are somewhat right about flaging the problem upstream, but Red Hat should be
made aware of the problem.  If the applet is broken, should it still be part of
the next release?  Should it be removed?  RHL release should not be blocked by a
faulty applet, but it tarnishes the image of RHL when installed applets
installed.  Then again, the author might fix the applet 2 weeks after the new
RHL was released.  The fixed rpm could then be made available.  It would be sad
if an applet which might be usefull for many would be missing in a version only
because of it was broked for a couple of weeks, because of bad timing.

What is the policy of Red Hat regarding this issue?

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
--
Consultant en informatique/Software Consultant
Deragon Informatique inc.         Open source: