RH10 multimedia support

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at rogers.com
Sat Sep 6 03:53:22 UTC 2003

On 05 Sep 2003 18:32:27 -0700, you wrote:

>> Amen! My point is not against requiring admin privilege to install, but
>> against the pop-up in the first place. If there is a legitimate need for
>> a plug-in, there should be a separate install (such as rpm) for it.
>
>But there can never be an official RPM from Red Hat, since these
>software products, in many cases, are closed-source, non-free, non-GPL,
>etc.  If it were only as easy as Red Hat supplying an RPM, then this
>would be a non-issue.

Or a 3rd party (Freshprms, Fedora) can package it up for users like
what is currently done for mp3.

>multiple browsers that need to be configured.  Red Hat distributes
>Epiphany, Konqueror, and Mozilla.  So now you have to multiply those 5
>plugins by 3, which leaves 15 different plugin installations.

Certainly a common plugin directory would be useful.

>And it's the same point with the movie player (or shall I say, the lack
>of a movie player).  When RH10 ships with Totem, I'm sure it won't come

What makes you think RH10 will come with Totem?  Totem is not in the
current beta, and it is not in Gnome 2.4 (which is the only major
change happening to the beta (I think)).

>with any codecs that most of us want.  So how do we install the codecs?
>Does Totem have a wizard that walks the user through downloading and

I believe, at least in the Gnome world, this would actually be the job
of gstreamer.