up2date problems with aspell and xemacs-el

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Sun Sep 7 23:31:44 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:08:34PM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> I'm seeing rpm corrupting databases on 586 but not 686 systems

Is this with futex-enabled kernels (i.e., 2.6 or the RH 9 and above Red
Hat 2.4 kernels)? glibc is only using NPTL on 686, not 586, and I've
seen RPM corrupt databases when NPTL is not being used, but not when
NPTL is being used. (I actually found some Really Dumb Things(tm) that
create corruption with NPTL absent but not with NPTL present, and I
bugzilla'd them a number of months ago. I'll dig up the bug numbers in a
few days.)

I've compiled Red Hat 9 glibc RPMs with NPTL enabled for i486 (and thus
i586). They're available here:
http://math.uci.edu/~bnathan/linux/glibc/glibc-2.3.2-27.9.2bkn/

They haven't been tested on real i586 hardware (yet). If you're seeing
RPM corrupting databases on i586 machines running Red Hat 9, you might
want to try these RPMs (if you have time, of course). If you're seeing
the corruption on severn or rawhide, wait a few days and I'll try to
look at enabling NPTL on sub-i686 stuff with rawhide's glibc. (If anyone
else wants to go ahead and do that instead of waiting for me, that's
fine too.)

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>