RH10 multimedia support

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 11:50:55 UTC 2003

> combination with synaptic) in the RH distro? (I'm a great fan of this
> software;-))In this case, you could push the responsibility to the user to
> install or not install critical software. Perhaps you could not fill out the
> /var/apt/sources.list to circumvent problems with lawyers.

Current up2date in rawhide does yum/apt

> Besides all discussion here, I'm wondering about how the guys of SuSE are
> managing the multimedia problem: they have java integrated, and as far as I
> remember, for installation of the flash plugin, there is a small script that
> leads to the macromedia page (if not included in SUSE, there is such
> perl-script in the Knoppix-Livesystem at www.knoppix.de, so you could have a
> look at it)

You can license binary only Java and flash for the desktop. In the case
of flash I believe its even a free(money) distribution license, but it is still
*non free* and also only covers desktop not PDA. Thats a problem with the
various x86 devices that are borderline PDA class nowdays. (I wish someone
would hurry up and make a VIA C3 equivalent of my old PC110 palmtop PC but
thats a side story.. 8))

Java is almost freed now, if you really care about it you might want to join
the gcj projects.

Alan