New Kernel - athlon - Mozilla

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 12:19:55 UTC 2003

On Sep  7, 2003, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:

> As a heads up to folks, the version number of tomorrows kernel changes
> in a way that may cause up2date to think a newer kernel is already
> installed (moving from 2.4.22-20.1.2024 to 2.4.22.1.2030), you may
> have to manually install this one with rpm. Time will tell.. 8)

Unless there's an epoch that makes it look newer, this will indeed be
the case.  I don't see the point of this change though.  Why not cal
it 2.4.22-21.whatever or 20.2030, or even 20.1.2030, such that it is
clearly newer than the already-released kernel?  Version numbers
shouldn't go back without a very good reason, IMHO.

--
Alexandre Oliva, GCC Team, Red Hat