Installing Severn on a Sony 505VE laptop - broken?

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Tue Sep 9 04:47:17 UTC 2003

Alan wrote:

> XFree86 is *SLOW*.  The system is a P-333 with 128 megs.  Not fast,
but
> not incredibly slow either.  (Redhat 7.3 runs on it acceptably. I have
> not tried Redhat 9.)

Maybe the recommended hardware as listed in the beta release notes is
there for a reason?
 Processor:
   - Minimum: Pentium-class
   - Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
   - Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
 Memory:
    - Minimum for text-mode: 64MB
    - Minimum for graphical: 128MB
    - Recommended for graphical: 192MB

I have an k6-2 amd with 192 megs ram..and redhat 7.3 with gnome runs
slow enough that i notice. I can't imagine the beta with gnome 2.x is
going to be any better..in fact i expect it to be very noticeably
slower..since that system, like yours, is below the recommended hardware
specs. For comparison...running rhl9 and the beta on my 1 gig athlon
with 512 megs, the gnome desktop  isn't noticable slow for most things
(leaving obvious things like openoffice out of course).

I think that recommended hardware as listed in the beta release notes is
probably a good measure of what the modern (some advanced users would
say unnecessarily bloated) desktop environments, Gnome and KDE, are
expecting to have available to run smoothly.   Welcome to the wonderful
world of progress.

-jef"my hunch is...rhl 8 and 9 are going to have similar performance
penalty on that old p333"spaleta