Severn and Wine and Emulators

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 11:24:01 UTC 2003

> plex86 project died long ago and is unmaintained currently as far
> as I recall.  Bochs suffers a similar fate at one point I

There was a little work more recently. A lot of the interest now
for emulation of x86 is in qemu which is a portable x86 JIT.
Qemu can do stuff like run wine on a ppc.

> All of these types of emulators/simulators/VMs, etc. are best
> maintained outside of the OS distribution itself, where the
> community can actively volunteer a lot more time to the
> maintenance of such packages than any attention an engineer would
> be spending on such a package which would be considered low
> priority.

Actually for non x86 there may be good reasons to eventually
merge Qemu with the core - the ability to run x86 packages when
native ones are not available.