Compile on Severn, runs on RH9, segfaults on Severn

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 19:09:59 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> Can you please try kernel-2.4.22-1.2040.nptl from RHN?  There have
> been several fixes to exec-shield there.  I know turning off exec-shield
> didn't fix it, but it's still possible that it is the culprit.
>
> > So it is the kernel or the kernel triggers it elsewhere (glibc?).
> >
> > Do I report it in bugzilla under kernel?  Is there anything I can do it to
> > diagnose it better?  Transcode is too large a thing that depends on too
> > many libraries to be sure.
>
> Is it linking against any object files that you neither recompiled
> yourself nor obtained as an integral part of Severn?  (I.e. did
> you get any of those "too many libraries" in object form?)

I may be seeing something similar while trying to run uml kernels. In my
case the segfault is in a memcpy very early on in the uml boot, no
libraries are involved, 2040 does exactly the same thing, and the same
thing happens with the 2039 kernel on an RH9 system. The kernels boot fine
with a 2.6 kernel under severn, or on a standard RH9 system.

	Michael Young