Error 28 when trying to dial with modem...

Thu Sep 11 00:40:41 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have a desktop with an external motorola 56k modem.  I set it up from
within redhat-config-network, and kudzu sees it as well.  I tested it from
minicom, and it works.  Trying to connect from the control panel though,
it gived me "Failed to activate ppp0 with error 28".  Of course error 28
has no description, nor did I even know what program it actually came
from.

I tried a laptop with severn on it as well, and got the same error.
i eventually found some postings about the same error code (not in severn
though), and found I could use ppp-watch.  It also stops with error 28.
The man page for ppp-watch isn't helpful at all, and doesn't have any
error codes either.

Where is a list of error codes and descriptions?
Is this bug in bugzilla?
Any suggestions?

 thanks,
      noah silva