Version naming

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Sep 13 07:04:22 UTC 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, rg wrote:

>Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:38:55 +0900
>From: rg <grant at tuins.ac.jp>
>To: rhl-beta-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Version naming
>
>I know some don't seem to think the final version naming is important,
>but for others it is, as we have to deal with it NOW.  Anyway, I noticed
>on Amazon that the Red Hat "Unleashed" and "24 Hours" books are titled
>Red Hat X.  Is that going to be it? So Mac-ish?  And what's with the
>secrecy anyway? Why doesn't RH just come out and say what it is going to
>be?  Or have they already done so?

Because the name, version number, etc. has not been decided yet.
When it has been decided, and we are ready to tell people what it
is called and whatnot, you'll read about it on the website and on
these lists.

For the record, traditionally, the product naming is done on the
very last day of development.  That's been the way it has been
since I've been working at Red Hat now for just under 3 years,
and I'm told that's the way it's been for every release before
that.

You will be given further information about the project on
September 15th, as the website http://rhl.redhat.com states.  To
stay updated on all information, you can visit that website.
Chances are if it isn't on the website, then it isn't public or
is not decided upon yet.

Hope this helps to clarify the confusion.