Time weirdness...

KSC m0par at cox.net
Sun Sep 14 05:56:15 UTC 2003

I'm running severn+updates on an athlon-smp system. When in X,
frequently the on-screen clock's seconds will bounce back and forth,
double clicks will fail to be read, and in X terminal windows a
single keypress will result in anywhere from 1 to around 10 repeats.
Other things also act crazy, like the xscreensaver login-after-locking
screen will timeout almost immediately, not allowing any logins until
the system stabilizes.

The weirdness will occur for a few minutes then things seem to
stabilize, only to revert to the abnormal behavior at seemingly random
intervals.

It happens regardless whether I am running GNOME or WindowMaker alone
(the latter having been just compiled from non-RH sources).

I compiled a vanilla 2.4.22 kernel which also exhibits the same
behavior.

Anyone else seeing similar problems?

Closest thing I found on bugzilla was #100691, since I too am running a
Tiger MPX board, but I'm not sure the problems are related. I have
experienced app lockups with programs using v4l(gspy and motion) but
haven't run into any oopses. (I haven't tried running in UP mode yet,
which the person filing the bug report mentioned above claimed fixed the
problem in their case.)

Any ideas on what I should check or try to attempt to isolate the
problem? I will be trying the UP kernel to see what happens.

Sorry for my ignorance, but thanks for any help...
ksc