Severn installation failure

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Sun Sep 14 19:48:12 UTC 2003

> On September 14, 2003 03:17 pm, Ron Cordell Ron Cordell
> <roncordell at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I attempted to install RH 9.0.93 (Severn) on a machine here today, but the
> > installation failed almost at the end of installing the files. The error
> > message was that the installer had encountered a critical failure and could
> > not proceed, forcing me to reboot.
>
> > have other OSes loaded on this box, but I was installing to a separate hard
> > drive, so I am able to boot another Linux instance and manipulate the HD.
> > Also, the severn beta CD boots OK, but Anaconda dies.
> ... just wondering: after downloading, did you run md5sums against the iso
> images *before* burning the CD's?
> ... is there sufficcient room on the hd (*INCLUDING* space for temp files)?
> (The readme on Disk 1 will give you the requirements for disk space).
> When you boot with Disk 1 does it get as far as where you can select to
> verify the media, and, if so, have you done this?
>
> HTH...
>
> Elton ;-)

  If trying to detect just corruption as opposed to tampering, I think
doing the mediacheck on the CDs is enough.  It should be done anyway
in case the burn itself is bad.  In fact, when upgrading to RH 9, I used
cheap Memorex CDs, and as it turns out they start accumulating errors
within 15 hours.  So I did the mediacheck before installing, and it was OK,
but during the upgrade I had to restart twice due to errors reading
packages.  (Fortunately, each time the upgrade was able to resume where it
left off.)  It turned out that the CDs were going bad _during_ the upgrade
(which took 3 hours on my slow machine).  So try the mediacheck again just
to be sure.