Dead keys doesnt work on Severn

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 15:40:57 UTC 2003

On Sep 15, 2003, Thiago Vinhas de Moraes <thiago at jampanight.com.br> wrote:

> When I send mail to myself, I can read it properly.

Please send such e-mail (with accents in the subject) to me, I'd like
to see how it looks like.  Odds are that Outlook Express doesn't
adhere to the MIME specs.

> But people using Outlook Express and ICQ see a mess.

ICQ, I could understand.  Odds are that its wire protocol isn't UTF-8
(or it doesn't even specify the encoding), which implies both ends
must choose the same encoding to have any hope of taking something
sensible.  And then, if you want to talk to more than one person, and
they use different encodings, you're in trouble.

> What's the proper configuration for /etc/sysconfig/i18n to use the
> br-abnt2 keyboard layout and use dead keys?

Keyboard layout and dead keys have nothing to do with the problem, if
I understand it correctly.  It has to do with representation of
non-ASCII characters.  In /etc/sysconfig/i18n, you can change the
default encoding to iso-8859-1 from UTF-8 by modifying LANG, and even
though this will give you compatibility with those using iso-8859-1,
it will break compatibility with those using UTF-8.  There's no good
solution before everybody agrees on a standard encoding.  GOTO
EBCDIC2ASCII :-)

--
Alexandre Oliva, GCC Team, Red Hat