Changing drives

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Tue Sep 16 04:04:18 UTC 2003

On September 15, 2003 11:29 pm, Maynard Kuona Maynard Kuona
<knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za> wrote:

> Linux will never be easy enough for the masses if stuff like this still
> has to be configured. The problem would have been in two parts here.
> Even if the burner had been autodetected nciley, and Grub reconfigured
> automatically, it would have required a reboot, because hardware
> detection takes place after these parameters have been passed to the
> kernel. Or maybe new drivers are needed for us to not have to use scsi

>From what I've read on the list here, the 2.6 kernel should enable writing
to IDE without need for SCSI emulation. In the meantime, though, shouldn't
kudzu have recognized the "new" ("changed around") hardware, and
configured fstab as needed?

... just wondering ...

Elton ;-)
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.