options to kernel? - to prevent pcmcia lockup

Paul Morgan paul.morgan at jumanjihouse.com
Tue Sep 16 13:24:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 22:41, Féliciano Matias wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 05:02, Jim Cornette wrote:
> > I am still having issues with the kernel locking up on the pcmcia
> > modules. What is the kernel option to disable pcmcia? What should be put
> > into the grub.conf file?
> >

> AFAIK there is no kernel option to disable pcmcia.
> Try :
> - chkconfig pcmcia off
> - rpm -e kernel-pcmcia.
> - add "alias pcmcia_core off" to /etc/modules.conf.
> - move /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o in
> /tmp.
>
> I don't know if those tricks work.
> Hope this help.

There have been three times that I have had the kernel boot hang on
pcmcia startup (once each with 8, 9, and rawhide). To workaround, I
booted to single-user mode and did a `chkconfig pcmcia off` then booted
normally. From bash, I then did a `service pcmcia start` which would
hang, of course, but a CTRL-C broke out of it. Mysteriously, the pc card
actually started and I was able to `chkconfig pcmcia on`. I don't
remember the circumstances around these events, but it seems I suspected
the pc card had not been shutdown correctly (laptop battery went dead,
etc.).

HTH. -paul