severn kde useless

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Tue Sep 16 13:54:17 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 14:06, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I have been testing beta1 (virgin).  I have given up.  I use kde.  Every time
> I use it, the panel dies and the desktop becomes unresponsive.  The mouse
> moves, but the desktop doesn't work.  It's a little hard to describe.  This
> seems to happen randomly, and the symptoms are not always identical.  In
> every case, clicking on the start panel icon will do nothing at all.  I may
> be able to raise windows by clicking on them, or maybe not.  I may be able to
> Alt-Ctl-f1 sometimes.  If so, when switching back to X the panel is not
> redrawn.  Other times Alt-Ctrl-f1 does nothing, nor any other key sequence.

I'm sorry I can't help you, but I feel the same about Red Hat's KDE.

I want to pinpoint that KDE support in Red Hat is a no-go. Not only KDE
feels slower than GNOME, but RedHat's KDE is much slower than SuSE's
KDE, for example. Dragging a window in Red Hat's KDE has a considerable
lag, window movement is not smooth and there is a delay since the user
drags the window and the window starts moving. I thought it was related
to 2.6 kernels and scheduler changes by Con Kolivas, but this is
reproducible with 2.4 kernels too.

All those problems can't be reproduce in SuSE 8.2. In fact, I have been
forced to moved my laptop from Red Hat Linux to SuSE Linux. I love KDE,
and I find Red Hat's KDE deceptive.

I hope this will be fixed in a future release...