Numlock

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue Sep 16 22:24:47 UTC 2003

> The kernel is hard coded to disable numlock on startup.  Years
> back when this annoyed me as I wanted numlock to default to the
> BIOS defined setting as well, I was told on the linux-kernel
> mailing list that the kernel defaulted to disabling numlock so
> that Linus' laptop came up ready to type, rather than having
> numlock enabled and having to turn it off in order to type.

Since laptops are becoming more common, I think that numlocks off is the
best default setting. Also, for a left-handed person, as myself, the
numbers pad is not frequently used. I like the setting off.

If you are doing a lot of working with numbers, it is not too dificult
to hit the numlock key. For a laptop user, with combo keys, they would
be typing things like 150 for jim and 35n4x for linux. It is more sane
to keep the option set to off.

Jim (n6t 150)

--
We may hope that machines will eventually compete with men in all purely
intellectual fields.  But which are the best ones to start with?  Many