Include MPlayer in beta?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Sep 17 18:55:38 UTC 2003

> Now, I take your BSD licensed software, and use your algorithm in
> my own program, and then ship my program.
>
> 6 months later you patent it, then sue me.  Um no.  That's not
> how it works.

You patent it first... but keep quiet. The GPL seeks to prevent two things

#1 is someone contributing work then sueing other people for using it.
There are other things like estoppel which help here too

#2 is a third party watching a free product being built then annoucing they
have a patent on it and only they can ship it (making it effectively
proprietary)

The OSL goes even further and follows the model corporations use now days
for patents (which one economist described as the 'thermonuclear
war' approach). If you bring a patent claim against them you lose rights
to all their patented technologies and their code you had rights too.