acpi=on works for pcmcia lockup cure

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Sep 18 03:46:10 UTC 2003

Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 12:10:48AM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>I'm basically wondering how this one particular kernel works and only
>>the one after the severn riginal kernel version have made it to full
>>boot, without locking up n pcmcia. Below is my grub.conf file.
>

> Well, it had ACPI and the others you mention did not.  You could try
> "acpi=on" with the latest kernel (we had to change the default because
> ACPI still broke too many systems) and see if that works...
>
> michaelkjohnson
>
>  "He that composes himself is wiser than he that composes a book."
>  Linux Application Development                     -- Ben Franklin
>  http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/

Michael,

  Thanks for the help with figuring out why the kernels resumed locking
up on the pcmcia portion of the boot sequence. After reading your
message and looking at the dmesg that I sent for more information about
my system. It is a lot clearer to what is going on. (acpi listed again
and again.)

Switching to mozilla with the newer kernel. It seems to be working. But
he problem was mostly related to filling out forms, like logging into
rhn and also with putting in passwords for the mailer. i'll try that
later, I'm just glad that I cn mov forward with newer kernel version and
am not stuck with one working RH kernel.

Jim