Apt/Rawhide update to Severn gives me???

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Sep 20 04:50:39 UTC 2003

> You have severn + the updates which is the latest beta for the next release
> of Red Hat Linux. I doubt that at this point anyone can tell you exactly
> what b2 will look like. In fact I am beginning to wonder if there will be a b2
> since it is just as easy to install severn and update from up2date or rawhide.
> I do not really see the point of going through the trouble of pushing iso's
> out to all of the mirrors. There is a lot of work that goes into doing that
> and I am not convinced it is necessary. Of course this is just my opinion
> and I have no say in what Red Hat decides to do.

I think it would be worthwhile to start thinking of a distribution of
linux as a core with a large number of component applications that
people update asynchronously to the core.

The stuff outside core will be updated as new, stable versions become
available.

That might be a better way of viewing the world of linux distributions,
b/c then you don't have to wait 6 months for the next release of $myprog
- you can just update $myprog when $myprog is stable enough for you - or
stable enough in the opinion of the package maintainer.

This is one of the advantages that yum/apt/etc third-party repository
support will buy red hat linux - a greater fluidity of present
applications and on the whole newer stuff, with a greater number of
bugfixes released. (of course it might mean a greater number of bugs,
too ;)

-sv