Include MPlayer in beta?

Anthony Joseph Seward anthony.seward at ieee.org
Sat Sep 20 16:34:55 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 15:02, Bryan W. Headley wrote:
> Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Bryan W. Headley wrote:
> >
> >>Let's do one of those "get third party deb files" -- you install it,
> >>it's specfile fires up wget, gets the binary from the homesite, and says
> >>"well, you knew the licensing issues when you installed me."
> >>
> >>I can be pure and I can avoid issues. :-)
> >

> > Intent is 9 tenths of the law.
> I don't know. The Debian people are more "pristine" than newborn babes,
> and they do this...

No, the Debian people _think_ they are more pristine than newborn
babes.  The try very hard to be, but they don't always succeed because
they are not lawyers.  Red Hat is more 'pristine' in this case as they
were several years ago while the QT licence was being hammered out.  The
Debian people seem to think that they are immune from some restriction
because they are all volunteers.  In some cases they are correct, but
having been the treasurer of more than one 501(c)3 organization, you
better have a lawyer verify things.

> Hey! Are we being as careful with GIFs?
I think the GIF pattent expired.  Yes?  No?

Tony
--
Anthony Joseph Seward <anthony.seward at ieee.org>