Unable to blank CD-ROMs-- phantom process?

Ben Hsu benhsu at dslextreme.com
Sat Sep 20 23:21:05 UTC 2003

Hi

I tried to blank a CD-RW with "cdrecord -blank=fast" after burning it. I
got the error message:

Error trying to open /dev/scd0 exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.

I am able to blank the CD by going into single user mode. In summary:

<run level 5>
<burn cd-rw: success>
<blank cd-rw: fail>
<run level 1>
<blank cd-rw: fail>
<eject and re-insert>
<blank cd-rw: success>
<burn cd-rw: success>
<blank cd-rw: success>

I think there is some process associated with "autorun" in KDE which is
holding onto /dev/scd0. I have done both "fuser /dev/scd0" and "lsof
/dev/scd0" without seeing anything. Any suggestions? I looked at bug
87736 and posted some info to it, but I now think this is a separate
issue

My kernel is 2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36.nptl.ntfs.latest1394

Thanks