joysick...

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 14:34:54 UTC 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, stephan schutter wrote:

>Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:14:26 -0500
>From: stephan schutter <rhl at farorbit.com>
>To: rhl-beta-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Re: joysick...
>
>Well... I just thought that one might want to cover all bases... Geeks
>play games right?  Anyway, S.u.S.E has included such a tool in Yast...
>Why not copy them? Or mandrake... Desktop OSes ought to have tools to
>configur all common harware; i thing anyway...

For starters, SuSE's YAST tool, isn't open source to my
knowledge.  Red Hat isn't likely to devote engineering resources
to something useful only for playing video games.  Someone
theoretically could do it in their spare time, but having it
designated as a must-have solution for the enterprise is
unlikely.

It's just not something I can see us spending money developing
internally.  It does however make perfect sense being developed
by someone sufficiently motivated to volunteer and write such a
tool cleanly, or suggest an existing one.  (Or convince someone
else to write one.)

Perfectly fits into the community nature of the project for such
a motivated individual.