Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Joel Young jdy at cs.brown.edu
Mon Sep 22 17:54:51 UTC 2003

--------
From: "Michael K. Johnson" <johnsonm at redhat.com>

> Why Fedora?
>
> Red Hat has a lot of experience in building solid dependable core
> distributions while the Fedora Linux Project has lots of experience in
> building effective infrastructure and policy to create many high quality
> add on packages.  Both groups decided to merge the two projects and build
> outward using our shared experience, and to use the name "Fedora Project".

I think this is a brilliant and not surprising move.

Maybe it is time to resurrect the redhat contrib net membership list and
reinvite (them/us) back into the fold?  My memory of RCN was that as
time went on the incoming directory was processed less and less
frequently and eventually people just gave up.  However, these packagers
all have a long term aquaintance with the .spec format and would make a
great boost to fedora if they could be brought back.

Joel