OK, so it's the Fedora Project, but is it still called Red Hat Linux?

rg grant at tuins.ac.jp
Mon Sep 22 22:48:38 UTC 2003

Alan Cox wrote:

>>Here I go obsessing with naming again, but it is an important point as
>>some folk do have to prepare docs and such which include the name.  So,
>>now we know that it is the Fedora project, but is it going to be Fedora
>>Linux now?  Or is it still going to be Red Hat Linux as developed by the
>>Fedora project?  Is the Red Hat logo going to be gone from the GNOME
>>menu or what?
>>

>It is the Fedora Project. The core part of it is Fedora Core. We have
>proposed names for various categories of additional stuff, including
>externally maintained projects. One reason for it not being ".. Linux" is
>that someone might come along and build a version with a FreeBSD kernel,
>or ERoS based or other things.
>
>We hope to have the full trademark guideline stuff up ASAP, which I guess
>is the precise version of what you need ?

Hmmm... So, until the trademark guidelines come out, am I essentially
correct in assuming that the final release will be The Fedora Project
(not Fedora Linux), which will have a random red hat, as is the case
now, (not called the Red Hat Logo) on the GNOME menu? So when someone
asks what I am running, I can say the Fedora Project.  And when they ask
what's a good book to buy to get them up to snuff, I can say "The Fedora
Project Bible," or "The Fedora Project Unleashed," or "The Fedora
Project for Dummies?"

Am I on track here?

Ralston