Ethernet 3com ... problems .. some solutions

Jim - 815 beta redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue Sep 23 00:22:56 UTC 2003

I have been experiencing difficulties with my system that contains a
3com vortex boomerang PCI card.

The first problem is with the following error dialog box from trying to
initialize my card through redhat-config-network. I get the below:

Determining IP information for eth0... failed; no link present.  Check
cable?

-------------

The second problem is that I cannot start GNOME if I ran dhclient from
the command line. If I run dhclient from the terminal, I get the below
output.
This is from within a gnome-terminal using my not before working GNOME,
instead of my prior KDE.

[root at rrbi jim]# dhclient
bash: dhclient: command not found
[root at rrbi jim]# /sbin/dhclient
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client V3.0pl2
Copyright 1995-2001 Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:10:5a:14:8d:ee
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:10:5a:14:8d:ee
Listening on LPF/lo/
Sending on   LPF/lo/
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
bound to 192.168.1.102 -- renewal in 33196 seconds.

--------

Anyway, gnome will not startup with the present check cable problem. I
have to run dhclient after I get into GNOME. (This is not ideal.)

Now while using the Thunderbird mailer, mozilla presents the following
error message in gnome.

Error launching browser window:Typerror:
Componentd.classes{'mozilla.org/appshell/component/browser/instance:1'}
has no properties.

(the mozilla error is typed by hand for above error, may have typo. The
rest was cut and pasted)