What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Matthias Saou matthias at rpmforge.net
Tue Sep 23 09:35:55 UTC 2003

Randall J. Parr wrote :

> >If the issue is mp3 support, you can just hop over to freshrpms.net
> >and get it there.
> >

> No I can't. That is, in fact, my point. Most of the freshrpms.net stuff
> requires ALSA, which requires kernel modules, which means I can no
> longer "up2date" that system without breaking the sound, etc., etc.

Complete FUD. All applications linked against ALSA only require "alsa-lib"
(900kB once installed), and nothing more.

> I have tried, repeatedly to use freshrpms.net stuff but have constantly
> run into the above problems and/or conflicts with other stuff from other
> repositories.  Yes, I can rebuild them or build them from source but the
> whirlpools seems to just spin faster then.

Please report any problems, or else thay won't ever get fixed! I dare you
to find anyone who contacted me about an issue with freshrpms.net packages
that didn't get it solved almost immediately.

> On the other hand, Fedora, until now, has allowed me to very quickly and
> easily extend my standard Red Hat 7, 8, and 9 servers/workstations while
> encounter few if any of these problems. It has really, really been nice.
> But now it ends and I am thrown back into the whirlpool.

This is not what is happening, although you may be right about "older"
releases, as I don't know what will happen regarding new packages for them.
I don't think fedora.us has ever completely supported 7.x series btw.

> It has been very, very nice install Fedora yum/apt and be able to tell
> my customers, my sister, my wife, "Just do ..." and presto, changeo, you
> can play your MP3's or watch your DVD's. They really don't do so well
> when I pass on to them the typical answer from these lists of "just
> install all this stuff from freshrpms, reconfigure your modules.conf,
> maybe rebuild your kernel, and it 'just works', Yeah, right"

Ouch. FUD, really. Otherwise, please report detailed problems.

Matthias

 running Linux kernel 2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36.nptl
Load : 0.05 0.11 0.14