What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Sep 23 14:09:53 UTC 2003

Once upon a time at band camp Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:46 pm, Alan Cox wrote:
> > How will these users get there iso's  if there is no longer boxed sets?
> > Third party Vendors?  why cant update cds be made for these users?
>
> What is the difference between an update CD and a new release - the
> only big one is that by doing 2 or 3 releases a year most people will be
> running the same combinations of versions which helps a lot in debugging
> and with extras.

an update CD  Would not totally replace every core package in the system  but
provide a means for the user to update only those those that the user felt
needed updating.  or it would be a good way to update say kde to the newest
version. while leaving the core intact.  regardless of dial-up or broadband
security updates should be downloaded immediately but updated packages could
be issued in a quartely update cd  with a new version every 12- 18 months.
universitys for example are most likely to upgrade systems over the summer
break.  not at any other time of year.   they dont have the time to test the
system fully anyother time of year.

My laptop and Desktops i keep up to the current packages at most times  but my
server  i have configured and only update security related issues or bug
fixes.  when ever i update anything i back up config files  and then test to
make sure everything is configured as it should be and is doing the job it
should do.  a full system upgrade is a much bigger task  than updating a
handful of packages.