How about major and minor releases

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Wed Sep 24 13:04:37 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 22:03, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 10:36, Maynard Kuona wrote:
> > Something like Fedora makes a major release every 12 months, and then
> > a minor update release between major releases. The minor release, like
> > a release 2, would be just release 1 with all the security updates and
> > other necessary updates would be binary compatible with the previous,
> > like a target of 99.9% compatibility, and the major could have a much
> > lower target, like maybe 95%. In short, the releases cycle could be
> > something like
>
> We don't have binary compat as a requirement for Fedora, the reason is
> to avoid problems like the Python 1.x thing and ensure we can move
> forward with upstream projects.
>
> Of course a lot of upstream projects preserve binary compat upstream,
> using techniques like parallel install (http://ometer.com/parallel.html)
> which is what Python should have done and thus avoided the whole

I had 1.5 and 2.x installed in parallel, no problems. The problem I had
lied in the fact that RH's python-based tools called /usr/bin/python.
When added python2, I edited the RH python tools to run
/usr/bin/python1.5 instead and merrily went on my way. Indeed, those
systems are *still* running that way w/o issue. :)

--
Bill Anderson
RHCE #807302597505773
bill at noreboots.com