Planning for Redhat Upgrades

Marc Schmitt mschmitt at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Sep 24 15:36:00 UTC 2003

Gordon Ewasiuk wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I got a bunch of RH upgrades in the works - bunch of servers going
> from 5.x/6.x/7.x/8.0 to 9.  This Fedora stuff is causing me some
> concern.  I work for a small ISP/webhosting shop.  The money for RHEL
> just isn't there.

We're in a similar position, being an educational institution, we're not
going to get 400 licenses for our workstations/clusters unless RedHat
comes forward with a site license (we're currently contacting RedHat
concerning such a license).
We've been deploying RedHat Linux in the last four years, have built up
a very comfortable installation suite and centralized software
distribution mechanism, basicly, today, we are there where we wanted to
be with RedHat Linux when we started a couple of years ago...
The "Fedora" project did not catch us by surprise, though, the moment RH
introduced the one year product life cycle, it was pretty much clear to
me that such a move would come.

However, as I said, if we don't get a decent site license from RedHat,
we'll drop it and move to Debian which is successfully deployed in other
departements of our university.

And yes, I'm RHCE (7.2)...

Greetz
    Marc