What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Mark A. Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Wed Sep 24 16:46:00 UTC 2003

From: Jef Spaleta <jspaleta at princeton.edu>

>> Sure, nobody's holding a gun to your head, but if you want to have all
>> the  security updates, you *are* forced to do the major version
>> upgrades.
>
>No actually you are not...you could in fact...support yourself if you
>want to invest the time and energy to watch for security updates and do
>the security patch backports and recompile for your legacy systems that
>you do not want to touch unnecessarily. But really what you want is the
>option to have someone else do all the work for you...for as long as you
>want that work done..without paying a reasonable fee for that time and
>energy expenditure.

I take great offence at that statement.  I've stated many times on the RHN
lists when they announced the end of the 7.x support on RHN that I'd be
more than happy to pay the $60/yr RHN fee for continued updates down that
channel.  As for the RHEL channel, I'm sure that's a great solution for
businesses, but last I checked, I'm not a business.