What are consequences (the lack of freedom on the USA)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 22:11:29 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 11:49, Thomas Dodd wrote:
> Sorry Matthis, I lost the previous message:)
>
> Matthias Saou wrote:
> > Maynard Kuona wrote :
> >>Xine, mplayer, VLC. They work well, i.e., show video and all, but they
> >>are ugly, seem to use some arbitrary toolkit, if any at all. Xine's UI
> >>is ugly, mplayers is ugly. They lack proper integration into the system
>
> That is OPINION. I like Xine's UI. I also like the ogle gui. I relly
> like that I'm not forced to use it. A replacement could be developed
> that I might like better. I have no problem deling with multiple
> toolkits. I work with GNOME, GTK+, Motif, and Xt based apps all the
> time. I have NO problems using any of them.

It's great to have variety, but there are some technical issues with
apps that don't use the standard toolkits that lead us to prefer
toolkit-using apps as the defaults.

Some of these are a11y, i18n, etc.:
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/desktop/defaults.html

Anyway, just something to keep in mind.