What are consequences of "merger necessitates removal of ...

Mark Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Thu Sep 25 01:09:03 UTC 2003

From: Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>

 >> I take great offence at that statement.  I've stated many times on
 >> the RHN lists when they announced the end of the 7.x support on RHN
 >> that I'd be more than happy to pay the $60/yr RHN fee for continued
 >> updates down that channel.  As for the RHEL channel, I'm sure that's
 >> a great solution for businesses, but last I checked, I'm not a
 >> business.
 >
 > A single person paying $60 a year does not cover the expense. Heck, it
 > doesn't even cover the epxense of office supplies for the person doing
 > that work.
 >
 > IOW, the price cannot be determined without knowing the number of
 > people willing to buy it. Not speaking as a Red Hat cost analysis
 > person, I'd expect that given the cost of maintaing the OS, and the
 > number of people actually willing to buy that support for 6.2, the
 > cost would be significantly higher than $60.

First of all, I'm not as nieve as you think I am.  I'm sure there's more
than one person subscribing to RHN.  As for the $60/yr, I choose that
number as that's what RedHat is currently charging for the single year,
single machine subscriptions.  Their number, not mine.

As for 6.2, I upgraded that machine to 7.3 when I had to rebuild the
machine after the incidient described earlier.

The last time the subject was brought up in the rhn lists, there were a
bunch of people who would have been happy to pay the yearly
subscription, but given the impending end of support dates didn't want
to since they wouldn't be getting a full years worth of updates out of
the subscription fees.  How many this would be world-wise I'm not sure.